Sunday, February 3, 2013

Top ten things I love about Surin Thailand.


Why Surin is great...


Surin is a small (80,000) sized town in Isan, Thailand (north eastern, Thailand).  It's flat, has little scenery, and is definitely not a tourist destination (except during the November elephant festival), its been my home for 9 months now and I want to write a list of things I love about it, in order with the best first.  







1.) Jah Bar


This a a small rustic local Reggie bar that was introduced to me by the foreign teachers who were here the year before me.  Many teachers like to hang out here weekends.  The main draws are the friendly staff, the upstairs which overlooks the downstairs and the live music with English songs.  It's definitely a locals type place where everyone knows everyone.

 2.) The Klong Tom Market


This market is located about 2 km outside of town.  It is a huge market that only opens on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays.  They sell new/ used clothes, food, fish, guns, car cleaning supplies, electronics and lots of things in between.  I love going for their fresh Carmel popcorn, mini egg omelets, and 100 ($3) baht dresses. 







 


3.) The Bowl Place 
(not its official name but its fitting as the official name is unknown).
I discovered this amazing restaurant in October.  In my opinion it has the best Thai food in Surin.  It is near the Surin night market.  They give large portions in bowls (hence the name) and their pork is great quality with no fatty pieces.   


4.) Note's Shawarmas
(In Thailand they are called kebabs and he sells his out of a truck)
A shawarma is a "Middle Eastern sandwich-like wrap of shaved lamb, goat, chicken, turkey, beef, or a mixture thereof."
I have loved shawarmas ever since having my first shawarma in Tanzania.  In November a shawarma truck suddenly appeared in Surin and a guy named Note started selling chicken shawarma for 40 baht ($1.10).  He is only open after dark, his truck is located is just before the Thong Tarin Hotel. 

5.) The Reservoir
It's located about 3 km outside of town, a perfect biking distance.  It's a popular place to picnic along side the water especially in the evenings for the sunset.
















 


6.) Used Clothing Shops
 (Recently my favorite shop has closed down)
My roommate and I love to check out the used clothing shops in town.  The owners know us well, we usually go bimonthly.  

7.) The Night Market 

Surin's night market is open every night from about 5-10.  One side is food, the other side is clothes.  I love the chicken sticks in peanut sauce, pad thai, and yoghurt smoothies.  They also sell salads and fruits.





 


 


8.) The Majestic Hotel and Thong Tarin Hotel  Pools
On sunny weekends I like to go lay by the hotel pools.  There are hardly ever any customers staying in these hotels so the staff does not mind if we come and lounge by the pool.  These are the only two outdoor pools in town.  I love to swim, get a tan, and lye in on a chair and read.  It's a great way to spend an otherwise boring Saturday or Sunday in Surin.  



 


9.) The Elephant Coffee Shop
This coffee shop has great coffee, smoothies and overpriced but delicious snacks.  My favorite combination is the yoghurt blueberry smoothie and brownie cheesecake.  They have the best vanilla latte's in all of Surin.  I like to sit upstairs and read in their amazing lounge chair overlooking the road.     




 
















10.) The Rice Fields
Surin and all of eastern Thailand are known most for their rice fields.







No comments:

Post a Comment