Thursday, July 19, 2012

Life after 11 weeks!

             I have been in Thailand for 11 weeks (on Monday).  So far I am still loving it here.  I work about 9 or 9.5 hour days Monday through Friday.  The work is exhausting since I am playing with 4 year olds all day, trying to keep them entertained and teaching English at the same time.  It’s a lot of fun especially the art projects we do every day.  I love the atmosphere of the school.   


The teachers and parents are all really loving and happy.  They love to buy food for the foreign teachers and test our ability to eat spicy foods.  So far I have passes every test.   
I love spice and spicy foods here do make you tear up a bit and get a runny nose but I love the effect.  On the weekends I have been trying to be with Thai people which is quite easy as they love to taking me out to eat or invite me to their house.   

Side Note: everyone here loves 7-11 and there are tons around.  To be precise about 6,000 half in Bangkok.  Having the 3rd largest number of stores, after the US and Japan.

 


I saw these pig parts in the market the other day.  Delicious!  Just kidding I actually haven’t tried any yet, that I know of…
I have a very set daily routine.  Something I never had in Rwanda.  I am constantly busy and happy about that.  Since I have no bike I have to walk everywhere. The Big C grocery store is 35 minute walk away.  I prefer getting food from the markets but other items mostly just come from Big C since I don’t know where to get things yet like fans, dishes, sheets and things like that.  The school has a 25 meter length pool open Monday-Saturday so I enjoying swimming there sometimes.  Karaoke is a very popular thing to do here.  There are rooms everywhere that you and your friends can rent out and karaoke in private.  It’s a lot of fun to do.    
New update on my house:  A third roommate has arrived and moved in.  Therefore we have turned the downstairs living room into my room.  Now our house is cozy but still plenty of space.  Our food and dishes now live on the TV stand shelf which came with the house.  It’s kind of funny but actually works great.  The school is still getting new foreign teachers.  So far 3 have quit this year and 6 new teachers have arrived after I came on May 7th.  The total number of foreign teachers is 19.  I think we are still waiting for 3 more teachers to arrive.  The goal is to have 3-4 teachers per grade.  The school is a public primary school with Kindergarten to 6th grade.  The EP (English Program) just started this year and only exsits in three classes )kindergarten 1, kindergarten 2 and 1st grade.  These kids get a foreign teacher all day every day and had to pay extra for this luxury.  The others have a foreign teacher 2-3 times a week for 50 minute classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment