Wednesday, March 13, 2013

How it all Began

The little experience I had in Rwanda teaching English

My kids coloring in Rwanda
Teaching math in Thailand
I have now had a number of people ask me about how I got my teaching job in Thailand.  It was quite easy and it happened very fast.  I applied just after my Peace Corps "close of service" conference.  I had originally applied and been accepted to work at an outdoor education camp in New York state.  After my cos conference I realized I did not want to move back to America quite yet.  A fellow peace corps volunteer loves looking and recommending jobs for people.  So she actually found this job on idealist.org and sent me the link.  At first I thought I was not qualified for this job.  They wanted 2 years of experience teaching kindergarten, a TESOL certification and a BA in education.  I had none of these but was encouraged to go ahead and apply anyway.  I sent my application on February 14, 2012.  I got a response on the 16th wanting a skype interview.  I had my interview on the 20th.  The connection was really bad, we had to turn off the video, and we could barley hear each other.  After the interview I immediately received an e-mail that I was hired and had a week to decide.  After much thought, and discussion with lots of people and making a pro/con list I accepted the job a week later.  I then spent a month in America with family and friends.  I had to get a non-immigrant B visa in DC at the Thai Embassy.  I had to get a background check and after booking my flight for May 5th arriving May 7th in Thailand I was ready to go.  I started work on May 8th teaching kindergarten, something I had never done before. 

I loved this gig so much I am moving to Mandalay, Burma on May 10th to teach English there for one year.  I will be teaching likely grade one but could be any primary school grade level.  Until then I will be traveling around Thailand and South East Asia! 

Good websites for Teaching Abroad:
eslcafe.com
eslbase.com
seriousteachers.com
ajarn.com
totalesl.com

No comments:

Post a Comment