Saturday, June 2, 2012

Farangy-about the blog title

Farang is the term in Thailand for foreigners.  It is specifically means someone with a European ancestry but in general is used on anyone who looks different or foreign.  
I made up the word farangy because I feel I act farangy here as I know nothing about the language, culture, how to order food or buy things in stores. I am learning as as I go. I came here without any training and started my job teaching the following day upon arrival.  It is much different than having 3 months of language and cultural training I had when I was with Peace Corps in Rwanda.  
We will see how it turns out but so far I am learning things quickly and really love it!  Keep checking my blog for updates about my 10 months here in Surin, Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment