Sunday, June 17, 2012

Saturday Lunch Club


         This Saturday I was invited to lunch with the Thai teacher.  She told me she would call me when she finished teaching for the day.  She has to come in and teach Thai on Saturdays because the rest of the week is all English.  She usually finishes around noon.  So at around noon I get a call and a few minutes later I am picked up by her and another kindergarten teacher in their car.  We drive about 15 minutes to get to an outdoor local restaurant place.  Nothing fancy but definitely a place for locals. There were 4 other kindergarten teachers their waiting for us to join them.  As my Thai teacher does not know much English I had no idea what to expect.  It was like a teacher Saturday lunch group.  They clearly did this quite often but must go to new places every time.  It seemed as of this was the first time at this particular restaurant.   
         An interesting thing I learned and experienced is that most Thai people do not drink their water until after the meal is over so we had to sit in the heat with iced waters in front of us and not drink them.  When the food arrived, we had sticky rice, a peanut cabbage salad, fried chicken, squid flavored ring things, and pork.  It was all really delicious and we ate the typical Thai way to share all the food and just take little bits and pieces throughout the meal.  After about 10 minutes or so a huge whole fish was plopped on the table.  It was lightly cooked and was delicious.   

        They picked pieces off in the perfect way to avoid all the bones.  So after all that food I was stuffed.  We were finished, what was not eaten was put into bags to take home.  As we left my Thai teacher says sorry it was not delicious to which I just thought yes it was.  But regardless the teachers were not impressed and apparently they were still hungry.  So we went out for noodles. 
I had egg noodles which were also delicious.  Thankfully I really love most Thai food.   
         As for desserts I have not been much of a fan.  We had a bowl of iced sweetened condensed milk with some fruit in it.  It was so sweet and I could not even take a second bite.  It was like nothing I have ever tasted before.  But just image plain iced sweetened condensed milk possibly with extra sugar added and Thailand loves sugar and puts sugar in anything.  Beside that dessert I loved everything we ate and it was a great Saturday out with all Thai teachers.  Hopefully it happens many more times.  I felt like I got to be part of their weekly  Saturday lunch club. 

No comments:

Post a Comment