Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Oh Mister Sun!






My best lesson so far has been a sun mosaic.  It was in my second week and the teachers are switching around who plans the main lesson and I was still confused about my day but when it came I wanted to teach about saying good morning, good afternoon and good evening.  Most of the people here as in Rwanda can only say good morning.  So my Thai assistant and I made large suns and some mountains.   One Sun was glowing orange to represent the morning sunrise, one sun was big and yellow for the hot afternoon and the evening sun was orange with some yellow sun beams to represent the evening sunset.  Though I don’t think it really caught on completely the students do now say good afternoon after their naps so they did learn something.  For the creative activity that day I wanted it to involve suns but coloring was getting boring for the kids as they color a lots to learn letters and numbers.  So instead we printed out blank simple suns in the computer and had the students rip colored paper into small squares and paste different colors onto their sun.   We used pink, red, yellow and orange paper for the project.  The activity took a long time, over an hour of keeping the children completely occupied and they loved it.  The suns turned out beautifully and I had a very successful lesson
 

No comments:

Post a Comment